Nintendo has officially released their sales numbers for the top selling Nintendo 3DS and WiiU titles.
Sales are always the true indicator of a game company’s success, or at least that’s what everyone wants you to think when they’re arguing about which of their favorite consoles is superior to yours. Unfortunately, sales numbers are typically only retrieved through third parties, making the numbers seem flaky at best.
Fortunately, along with their annual earnings report today, Nintendo has released some official sales numbers for both of their current devices, finally giving some closure (or ammunition) to disputes raging about their sales power.
From Mario Kart 8’s almost 75% attach rate, to Pokemon X and Y, which literally doubled the sales of the former, as of December 31st, here are Nintendo’s top 10 best selling Wii U and 3DS games:
Best-Selling Wii U Nintendo Games:
- Mario Kart 8 — 7.24 million
- New Super Mario Bros. U — 5.08 million
- Nintendo Land — 5.02 million
- Super Mario 3D World — 4.63 million
- Super Smash Bros. — 4.61 million
- Splatoon — 4.06 million
- Super Mario Maker 3.34 million
- New Super Luigi U — 2.42 million
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD — 1.69 million
- Mario Party 10 — 1.65 million
Best-Selling 3DS Nintendo Games (as of December 31):
- Pokemon X/Y — 14.46 million
- Mario Kart 7 — 13.03 million
- Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire — 11.46 million
- Super Mario 3D Land — 10.63 million
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 — 10.04 million
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf — 9.86 million
- Super Smash Bros. — 7.92 million
- Tomadachi Life — 4.89 million
- Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon — 4.75 million
- Nintendogs + Cats — 3.96 million
On the hardware side of things, the 3DS has sold a whopping 59.4 million units, with the WiiU lagging far behind both the 3DS and the competition at only 12.6 million total sold.